EMBERS® Certification Pathway in Menopause-Informed CBT
Introduction: What is the EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Model?
The EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Model stands as a comprehensive guide for clinicians working to optimise women's mental health during this life stage.
The EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Model is a holistic, non-hormonal, six-stage psychological framework designed to guide the delivery of psychological treatment for women navigating emotional challenges during the menopausal transition.
At its core, the EMBERS® model is built upon a robust framework that integrates evidence- based principles from various CBT approaches. This fusion includes elements from third- wave Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) methodologies such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and Emotion Efficacy Therapy (EET). Additionally, the model draws support from the bio-psycho-sociocultural model, the six pillars of Lifestyle Medicine, and a neuroscientific understanding of how menopause impacts the brain and mind.
EMBERS® strives to address the three dimensions of human functioning: body, mind, and the relationship with oneself, others, and the world. Its overarching objective is to empower women with strategies to restore balance within the body and mind, addressing both external and internal challenges associated with the peri/menopausal period.
The term "EMBERS" serves as a metaphor for how women might feel during the menopausal transition. It also acts as an acronym representing the six steps of this model:
- E – Essentials (Restore Mode)
- M – Mind and Mindset
- B – Becoming
- E – Emotional Fitness
- R – Relationships and Resilience
- S – Shape-up (Behavioural Change)
These six stages of the EMBERS® framework aim to target various facets of physical and emotional wellbeing that require attention to help women regain control over their life, body, and mind. Addressing these areas can assist women in improving emotional regulation, enhancing psychological flexibility, and supporting day-to-day functioning.
EMBERS® Certification Training Pathway - 5 Levels
The EMBERS® Certification Training pathway is a comprehensive, five-level professional development program in Menopause-Informed CBT, designed for clinicians interested in developing expertise in women's mental health during the menopausal transition. This structured and progressive approach ensures a systematic acquisition of menopause-informed CBT knowledge and skills.
Level 1 - Foundation in Menopause-Informed CBT
Level 1 - Foundation in Menopause-Informed CBT comprises a two-week online hybrid course that centres on fundamental aspects of women's mental health during the peri/menopausal transition. This level introduces key topics such as symptoms, hormonal changes, and influences on mental health, severity factors, and diverse approaches to symptom management. Additionally, it offers insights into available hormonal and psychological therapies, providing an overview of how to adapt the CBT assessment within the menopausal context.
Upon completion, clinicians receive a Level 1 Certificate of Completion and can proceed to Level 2 training to achieve EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Trained status.
Level 2 - EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Trained
Level 2 EMBERS® Training builds upon the Foundation Level and ensures a comprehensive understanding of EMBERS® Menopause-informed CBT principles, specifically tailored to meet the mental health needs of women during the menopausal transition.
The training is structured around four modules (delivered over a four-week duration), covering the 'Body' (with a focus on Essentials in EMBERS®), the 'Mind' (addressing Mindset, Purpose, and Emotional Fitness within the EMBERS® framework), and the 'Environment' (exploring Relationships, Resilience, and Supporting Behavioural Change in the context of EMBERS®). The integration of these components is detailed in the last module, which demonstrates how to develop a Menopause-Informed CBT Formulation and apply EMBERS® to the clinical context through Case Presentations and Discussions.
Upon completing this training level, clinicians can use the 'EMBERS® Trained' logo and are eligible for moving to Level 3 Training.
’EMBERS® Trained’ Logo
The Level 1 and Level 2 of the pathway are covered in our signature EMBERS® Professional Training Programme. Completing this is essential for progression to Level 3 to gain EMBERS® Certified Practitioner status.
It's important to note that completing the EMBERS® PTP training does not authorise individuals to train others in this specific model. To train other professionals in the EMBERS® model, practitioners will need to progress through the subsequent levels to Level 5 - EMBERS® Train the Trainer as outlined in the pathway. The goal is to maintain the integrity and effectiveness of the training model.
Level 3 - EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Certified
To achieve EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Certified status, practitioners must meet the following criteria:
- Supervision: Clinicians are expected to participate in a minimum of 15 hours of group supervision (with 3 to 6 individuals per group), facilitated by an EMBERS® Certified supervisor.
- Clinical cases: Practitioners need to treat five individual cases using the EMBERS® model as the primary intervention for a minimum of 8 sessions, with at least 3 supervision sessions per case.
- Reflective statement: Writing an 800-word reflective statement demonstrating the application of EMBERS® principles to clinical work with a client experiencing peri/menopausal psychological difficulties.
- Quiz: Clinicians must achieve a minimum of 75% correct answers in an online multiple-choice quiz. The quiz can be retaken multiple times until the required score is achieved.
Once these criteria are met, clinicians can promote their services using the ‘EMBERS® Certified’ logo.
‘EMBERS® Certified’ logo
To maintain EMBERS® Certified Practitioner status (Level 3), practitioners must continue to uphold an EMBERS® caseload, receive regular EMBERS® supervision, and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional development in menopause care.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements for EMBERS® Certified practitioners involve:
- Caseload: Practitioners should maintain an EMBERS® caseload, treating at least 4 cases per year.
- Supervision: Practitioners are required to receive regular ongoing EMBERS® supervision (individual/group/peer group).
- Professional development: Practitioners should demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional development in Menopause care. This can be achieved through reading relevant literature (studies, books), attending Menopause CPD events such as webinars, workshops, courses, and conferences.
Level 4 - EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Supervisor
The EMBERS® Supervisor level is open to experienced clinicians who hold a mental health professional registration who meet the criteria for an EMBERS® Certified Practitioner.
The criteria to become an EMBERS® Supervisor are as follows:
- Professional Registration: Hold a mental health professional registration with a recognized organization.
- Certified Practitioner Criteria: Meet the criteria for an EMBERS® Certified Practitioner level therapist.
- Supervision Experience: Demonstrate completion of at least 8 supervised EMBERS® cases, dating from the period after acquiring EMBERS® Registered Practitioner status (through individual or group supervision).
- Continued Practitioner Status: Provide evidence of continued EMBERS® Registered Practitioner status for a minimum of 2 years. Highly experienced clinicians with both clinical and supervisory experience may be considered for the EMBERS® supervisory role after 1 year from achieving Certified status, provided all other criteria are met.
- Case Presentation: Present a case of a treatment session showcasing an EMBERS® clinical intervention (ensuring a confidentiality waiver is agreed upon between the client and the practitioner before submitting the video recording).
- Supervision Experience: Have supervised at least 2 cases under the direct supervision of a registered EMBERS® Certified Supervisor.
Level 5 - EMBERS® Train the Trainer
Level 5 is the last level of EMBERS® training pathway and is designed for experienced clinicians who have attained the Certified status, have become EMBERS® Supervisors and demonstrate high level of expertise in the EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Model. The Train the Trainer certification demonstrates a high level of understanding and mastery of menopause-informed CBT principles. By achieving this level of competence, EMBERS® trainers can train other professionals in this model and contribute to the dissemination and advancement of Menopause-Informed CBT knowledge and skills.
Disclaimer: The Menopause CBT Clinic® training is intended for qualified health professionals for professional development purposes only. Completion of the training does not confer a professional qualification in CBT for Menopause or any other psychological discipline. Clinicians using the EMBERS® principles are solely responsible for their interventions, and the Menopause CBT Clinic® disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any of the content of this training programme. Also, Menopause CBT Clinic® is not liable for any complaints arising from its application in clinical practice.
Copyright Notice for the EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Professional Training Programme materials. Menopause CBT Clinic® is the owner of all intellectual property rights in all the EMBERS® Menopause-Informed CBT Professional Training Programme materials. These materials are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. We grant to our trainees a revocable licence to view the materials in their web browser, cache memory and to print pages from this course for their own personal and non-commercial use. Our trainees and alumni may not reproduce in any format any part of our materials (including content, images, designs, look and feel) without our prior written consent. Other than the above, we do not grant our trainees and alumni any other rights in relation to the EMBERS® materials and all other rights are reserved. For the avoidance of doubt, our trainees and alumni must not adapt, edit, change, transform, publish, republish, distribute, redistribute, broadcast, rebroadcast, or show or play in public these materials without our prior written permission. If trainees/alumni reproduce or copy any part of our EMBERS® materials in breach of this notice, their right to use our materials will cease immediately and they must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials they have made. We take the protection of our copyright very seriously. We may bring legal proceedings against those who breach our copyright and seek monetary damages and/or an injunction to stop them using our materials. We could also seek payment to cover our legal costs.