The Six Point Rapid Response Kit to Hot Flushes
Do you feel that your sleep has been ruined by night sweats and hot flushes? Have you found yourself saying ‘No’ to things you’d love to do, because you worry about sweating too much? Are you feeling that your life is ruled by the hot flushes?
Hot flushes and night sweats are one of the main symptoms’ women experience when going through the menopausal transition and they can be very disruptive to our lives. You might have tried various remedies to reduce their impact on your life, but you probably are still getting them and not sure what else you can do to get though another round of sweating when you least expect it.
The guide below gives you the step-by-step approach to set yourself free from the emotional suffering inflicted on you by the ‘Sweaty Monster’.
1. Breathe - To activate the natural body calming response, breathe slowly and deeply, in through your nose, and out through your mouth in a steady rhythm. Make your out-breath twice as long as the in-breath. To do this you may find helpful to count slowly "one, two" as you breathe in, and "one, two, three, four" as you breathe out. Aim to get counting to 4 breathing in and count to 7 as you breathe out.
2. Notice the thoughts as they arise but don’t get caught into them – our thoughts and feelings are real, but they don’t have to dictate what we do, they are not directives. If you notice your mind judging the symptom, take a deep breath and return to notice with curiosity the experience of having a hot flush. This step ensure that our thinking does not add the stress of having a hot flush
3. Recognise the stories your mind tells you about the symptom and the stage of life you are at. Notice how the mind makes these stories the centre of your identity, but recognise, they are just stories, they don’t need to define you. You don’t need to believe them, spend time with them or take their lead.
4. Redirect your attention to the activity that you were doing before the hot flush. Consider what is the priority in that moment and what matters most at that time (self-care, family, work) Allow yourself to let go of any other thoughts, park them and give yourself permission to focus on the current task or priority.
5. Be compassionate and kind towards yourself when dealing with difficult feelings associated with hot flushes. Recognised and acknowledge the impact the hot flush has on you and provide yourself with validation, reassurance and kind words.
6. Allow the hot flush to unfold and avoid judging the experience - notice the hot flushes, explore them with curiosity and watch them as they change. We don’t need to pretend that they feel good, or that the symptom is meaningless. We just need to allow them as it’s not possible to get rid of them while we are in a middle of one.
By incorporating these strategies into your daily routine, you can help ease off the intensity of hot flushes, preventing your thoughts from amplifying the stress associated with them. This approach allows you to navigate the experience without struggling against a symptom that will naturally diminish within a 10-15min.
Ready to conquer your menopause-related challenges and get back your glow? Reach out to us today and start the journey to a happier and healthier you. We're here to support you every step of the way!
Embracing Change! Transforming with Kindness!
Content Disclaimer:The information contained above is provided for information purposes only. The contents of this blog are not intended to amount to advice and you should not rely on any of the contents of this article. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the contents of this article. Menopause CBT Clinic® disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on any of the contents of this article.
Ready to take control of your emotional wellbeing during the menopause?
Contact us to start your journey and unlock your inner-GLOW. Our team at Menopause CBT Clinic® is here to support you every step of the way.
Send us a message using the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.